It Takes Two (part 1)

“It’s not you. It’s me,” and with that she got up and walked away. My heart sank and all I could do was stare at her as she left. Where did I go wrong? Who was there when she forgot her lunch money? Me. Who was there when she needed a ride home from school? Me. The more I thought about it the more I realized it was never a real relationship. I was putting in all the effort. Ironically, my one-sided high school fling reminds me of a lot of people’s relationship with God. 

I’m not calling anyone out except myself. God spent a lot of time in a one-sided relationship with me. Oh we talked but it was mostly when I needed something. “Lord, if you get me out of this” or “Lord please give me...” was a popular theme of my prayers. That’s whenever I did pray. Days would go by and the Lord wouldn’t hear from me. I knew he was there but I was too busy with my other relationships. I had to hangout with my boys. Then there was family time and game time and time for everything else except God.

Thankfully for me and so many others God doesn’t break up with us that easily. He patiently waits for the attention every good relationship needs. We give our affection to someone else but God still wakes us up every morning. He pays for every meal and every outfit but we hold back our money from him. God protects us and stands up for us against our enemies but we don’t stand up for him. When people attack the sanctity of marriage we just stay silent. When people deny that God even exists we just stay silent.

You know every relationship has that moment. That moment when you either realize how important that person is or you end up breaking up. So how do we fix it? How do we get the relationship on the right track before it’s too late?  
It’s the most important relationship we’ll ever have... our souls can’t afford for it to break.

To be continued....

Comments

Popular Posts